12 May 2011
Dear animal lovers (specifically chickens as pets)
I got a call yesterday from a woman named Natasha, who has chickens as pets regarding 50 hens urgently needing homes (obviously we don’t expect people to take 50. This is an urgent appeal. They are booked to go to butcher tomorrow, but if we can secure homes, the guy who owns them will keep them to end of weekend.
- These hens are about 3 years old, and have mostly stopped laying. The guy who has them, is wanting to sell them to his local butcher (Natasha is his neighbour). Obviously if we can get them good homes, and let them live out their natural lives that would be amazing. They don’t have much more time – 6 months to 2 years. He is wanting R 30 per hen.
The conditions we would like these hens to go to is the following:
- Hens will free range and live out their natural lives
- They will be safe from dogs, and not hounded by barking dogs at the edge of any enclosure.
- Veterinary attention will be given to them should they at any stage get ill or injured
- They will have constant access to fresh water and food
- They will be secure at night from predators and theft to the best of your ability
- They will have adequate shelter at night from cold, and shelter during the day, if required, from sun
- Should you at any stage not be in a position to still give these hens a home, you will contact chicken rescue and rehabilitation South Africa, so we can assist you with re homing your chicks.
- There will be at least 5 hens to every rooster on your premises
- The hens will not be used for commercial gain –pet food, petting zoo, zoo etc.
- They will at no point be used as human food.
If you can assist us with a loving home for any of these girls – you can e mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org. They will need to be collected this weekend from south of Jo’burg, Glenvista area.
Chicken Rescue and Rehabilitation South Africa