Its true! We have been conducting an experiment of our own here at Chicken Rescue and Rehabilitation South Africa on our dear ex batt Claire.
It all started with a rescue in February, when we picked up some very bruised and battered ex batts. Grace, had severe neurological damage after been hit against the side of a metal cage, and went onto a regime of homeopathic nerve support, as well as a well needed vitamin B injection. Vitamin B is also excellent in the support of neuro damage. Graces neurological , mis-firings slowly healed, but I noticed something else. Grace, had new feathers, and within a few short weeks, despite her compromised body, she was developing and growing the most exquisite new feathers – faster than I had ever seen a compromised ex batt cover. I could only attribute it to the vit B injection, but decided that we needed to start some trials of our own.
This is where Claire enters the picture. Claire has been with us for over a year, and has never managed to develop enough feathers to cover her shoulders and back, despite a multi vitamin and good food. Claire has always had poor feather development. As winter was around the corner, and I didn’t want Claire to suffer the cold another year, I started Claire on a B complex. I elected not to inject this time, as I was warned it is a very sore injection.
I bought a good quality B complex from my local pharmacy in capsule form. The first two weeks I gave Claire 1/4 of a capsule daily. I sprinkled the powder into a piece of bread, closed the bread around the powder and made it into a tight ball, which I popped down her throat. After two weeks, I sprinkled 2 x vit B capsules (for 11 chickens) over their food aprox 5 x a week. This was started on the 27th March 2015, and this article was written on the 31st May 2015 – 2 months later.
The results have been very pleasing. All the flock seem to have really grown some great feathers, and Claire in particular has finally grown some shoulder and back feathers, where I thought we would never see feathers again. A possible added benefit, is that both Claire and Ruby where having repeated ‘egg bound’ issues up until I started the vit B. I cannot attribute the evaporation of the egg issues to the vit B for sure, but it does seem rather a coincidence.
I will continue to watch and monitor our flock on the Vit B complex, and will continue to try this on newly rescued hens and document the results. I know one trial is not going to be enough for some of you scientists out there, but its enough for me to feel confident to share this far.